This is a true American classic – a cabinet-size pyromorphite from the Wheatley Mines workings in Pennsylvania’s Phoenixville District. The Wheatley Mines were a consolidation of small mine workings on the Wheatley Lode, operated from 1851 to the mid-1860s (driven in part by the need for lead during the Civil War) and again briefly from 1917-20. This pyromorphite features sharp, lustrous dark green crystals – some have hollowing at the terminations, some have flat pinacoidal terminations and some have spear-like pointed terminations. With magnification, one can see that some of the crystals are a consistent colour throughout, while others have sharp zoning. In excellent condition (especially given the age of the piece), a few incomplete crystals. From the John S. White Pennsylvania Collection, a great Phoenixville pyromorphite!